Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Kickoff Post: Getting to Know the Goddess of Wisdom (Athena)

      Hello! Welcome to my blog, Musings of Athena! It is based on a few different areas in my life: beauty, nature, mythology, and my little brother's Lego creations.  I named it for my favorite Greek goddess, Athena, who is the deity representing wisdom and the patron god of Athens. Since I am around 99% mythology, I know a ton about her and would like to share some of the basics with you.


           First of all, Athena had the weirdest birth-her father, the great god Zeus, was  worried that if his wife, Metis (a sea nymph), had a son, that son would overpower him. So he turned Metis into a fly and swallowed her! Yuck! Inside his skull, Metis had Athena, which caused Zeus to get a horrible headache. In unbearable pain, Zeus begged his son, Hephaestus, to crack open his head with an ax...and out popped Athena! Surprise! Of course, Zeus healed right away since he was immortal, and Athena became his favorite of over the at least 150 children he had! She was the only one he trusted with his thunderbolts.




              As the goddess of wisdom, Athena invented many arts and crafts, like weaving and pottery, and she also created the olive and the ship. She favored mortal heroes including Perseus and Odysseus, so she helped to guide them on their dangerous quests. She had no time for marrige or children, so she became a Vestal Virgin with Hestia and Artemis. That's all the basic info I can provide right now, but if you have any questions about this awesome goddess, be sure to post a comment and I'll respond!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment and I will respond ASAP! ♥ all of you and thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing what you all have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...